2020.06.05

News Headlines - 05 June 2020

Tom Cotton op-ed will not run in print, New York Times editor announces during employee town hall - CNN

In an at-times tense town hall with staff, leadership at The New York Times on Friday addressed the process that led to the publication of Republican Sen. Tom Cotton's controversial op-ed - a piece that ignited furious debate inside and outside of the newspaper.
James Bennet, the editor of the editorial page, announced in the meeting that Cotton's op-ed, posted online Wednesday, would not be published in print on Sunday as had been initially planned, multiple staffers who watched the virtual town hall told CNN Business.

Japan's Dentsu evacuates Tokyo HQ after bomb threat - Reuters

Japan’s largest advertising agency, Dentsu Group Inc, has evacuated its Tokyo headquarters after receiving a bomb threat, an internal company email reviewed by Reuters showed on Friday.
The company, in an email to employees, cited a message sent to its website, saying: “Warning of explosion at Dentsu’s Shiodome headquarters building with deadline past 7:00 a.m. on June 7, Sunday.”
Dentsu confirmed it has closed the building due to a bomb threat, and said has notified the authorities.

Shigeru Yokota, father of North Korea abductee Megumi, dead at 87 | The Japan Times

Shigeru Yokota, whose daughter Megumi was abducted to North Korea in 1977 and who played a central role in Japan's efforts to pressure Pyongyang to release more victims, has died, sources close to his family said Friday. He was 87.
Yokota, who worked with other victims' relatives to prod the government into rescuing their children and siblings, whom they believe are still alive, died without ever seeing Megumi again. She was kidnapped on her way home from school at the age of 13.
At the time, the family was living in Niigata Prefecture after Yokota, then employed by the Bank of Japan, was transferred to a branch of the central bank on the Sea of Japan coast.

Police make first arrest over mask resale ban | NHK WORLD

Police in Japan say they've made the first arrest for the violation of a ban on reselling masks, which was introduced to stop them from being resold at inflated prices amid the coronavirus outbreak... He allegedly sold them to two self-employed men at a premium of about 5 cents per mask.
Police say the masks were a portion of 70,000 masks he had purchased for about 3 million yen, or 28,000 dollars.

Japanese teen shogi star Sota Fujii becomes youngest challenger for major title - The Mainichi

Teen shogi sensation Sota Fujii on June 4 became the youngest challenger for the Kisei title, one of the eight major titles in the Japanese board game.
Fujii, 17, who holds a seventh-dan rank in shogi, became the challenger after defeating Takuya Nagase, holder of the Eio title, in 100 moves in their game at Shogi Hall in Tokyo's Shibuya Ward.

|

Headlines」カテゴリの記事

コメント

コメントを書く



(ウェブ上には掲載しません)


コメントは記事投稿者が公開するまで表示されません。



« 2020年06月05日のニュース・クリップ | トップページ | 2020年06月06日のニュース・クリップ »